Friday 1 January 2016

Hello 2016!

I have to say that 2015 was a pretty awesome year for me. No major catastrophes or heartaches, I made lots of new friends, I tried lots of new things, and Brian and I are loving living in Nova Scotia :-)

Insteaf of doing a 2015 round-up here on my blog, I thought I’d start off 2016 sharing something new with you – geocaching. I’d heard of it a while back, but didn’t really know what it was. Then a few weeks ago, I had lunch with some new friends, and one of them told us about her adventures geocaching. It sounded like fun, so I checked out the web site (geocaching.com) and found some caches less than 1km from our house. So on Christmas day, Brian and my dad and the dogs set out to find a cache – and we did!

cache on christmas


Today, Brian and I and the dogs went into Lunenburg on a little geocaching adventure. I had eight caches to look for, but my phone died after four. We found two caches at the Luneburg Academy…

academy cache 1


This one was an interesting find. Can you guess where the cache is hidden?

academy cache 2


The next cache was pretty easy to find – the footprints in the snow helped a bit ;-)

firehall cache 1


Can you see where the cache is?

firehall cache 2


And then we headed to the middle of town and found the biggest cache of the day…

gazebo cache


See the orange marble? I think my friend who told me about geocaching put it into this cache :-) I took the marble and left behind this little guy… finally, something to do with all the pounds of seaglass I’ve been collecting!

inukshuk for cache


I hope he finds  good home soon :-)

I took some snaps of Lunenburg along the way. The Lunenburg Academy is looking a bit rough around the edges right now, but renovations are underway and it should be looking as good as new soon.

Academy 1


academy 3

academy 2

 

luneburg cilantro


lunenburg fish


lunenburg harbour 2


lunenburg harbour


lunenburg montague


lunenburg park


lunenburg turquoise building

So that’s how we started off 2016 – wonder what we’ll be doing on the last day of the year… hopefully we’ll be finished building our house by then!

kb logo 1a

4 comments:

  1. That sounds like a neat way to start the new year. The inukhsuk you left for the next geocacher is adorable. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Allison :-) Happy New Year to you too!

      Delete
  2. I'm not so crazy about caching in Winter BUT I do like seeing others' footprints leading to some caches. lol.

    I think your lil' inukshuks will be very popular. Hope to go caching with you one day soon ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried to make sure the caches we were looking for are winter-friendly. We didn't have too much trouble with the snow :-) Yes, let's go caching together one day! I'll need to make more Inukshuks so I'll have a stash of them ready to go :-)

      Delete