Wednesday 23 May 2018

Thinking about door knobs

Door knobs might not be at the top of your to-do list when you’re building or renovating, but they’re an important and necessary design element in every house. After all, if we didn’t have door knobs and deadbolts on our front doors, we’d be leaving our houses open to anyone or anything that wants to come in. Not to mention the embarrassment of being caught in a compromising position in the bathroom ;-)

Our house in Ottawa had a lot of doors. And all of those doors had curvy shiny brass levers and shiny brass hinges. I always wanted to change them out for brushed chrome door knobs, but we moved before I had the chance to make the change.

Now that we’re building our own house, we can choose whatever door knobs we want. Well, almost – I prefer knobs, Brian prefers levers. I compromised on the style, but chose the finish. I decided that I want matte black levers and hinges. I think it’s a pretty sharp look.


SOTG_Media Room_7

Source


A few months ago, a representative from Schlage Canada contacted me and asked me if I was interested in using their products in our house. At that point, I hadn’t given the door hardware much thought, other than the fact that I knew I wanted to go black. I checked out the Style Selector on the Schlage web site, and found that that they carry a good variety of door solutions in a number of styles and finishes. The Broadway lever immediately caught my eye. I like the cylindrical lever and simple round back plate. And it comes in matte black, which is just what I was looking for.


broadway

Of course, there are many other styles and finishes to choose from. Traditional to contemporary, there’s something for every home.

schlage levers



schlage knobs



If you’d like to check out Schlage solutions for your home, click here to find the retailer closest to you.

I’ve been busy painting doors and door trim so we can hang the doors and install the Broadway levers. Finally finished up that job, and I’ll show you how they turned out in my next post. There’s a fun surprise in the guest bedroom… stay tuned!


KB sig

Disclosure: Thank you to Schlage Canada for partnering with me and providing door solutions for our house build.

1 comment:

  1. Levers are easier to use, especially as we age. The black will look great with all of the blue and white you are using.

    ReplyDelete