Wednesday 2 May 2018

A whole lotta catching up to do!

Wow, it’s been way too long since I last wrote a blog post! It would take too long to write about everything we’ve done over the last couple of months, but here’s the biggest news – WE’VE MOVED IN! There’s still a lot of work to do, but we have a bathroom and a makeshift (and very messy) kitchen and a wood stove for heat and a comfy bed, so really, what more do we need? :-)

So here’s a rundown of what’s been going on around the house lately….

Brian built and installed the kitchen island. And it’s PURPLE! Benjamin Moore Peerage, to be exact. It’s different, and I LOVE it!


island 1



island 2


For now, it’s got a very classy plywood countertop – I can’t wait to get the marble installed. I double-checked that the purple works with the marble, and it does :-) Although the purple looks a lot different in this picture than it does in the island pictures.



purple and marble


The glass for the shower in the upstairs bathroom has been installed, and we have a functioning toilet and a temporary
pedestal sink. The closest-to-finished room that we have at this point.

bathroom glass


We installed one of two light fixtures above the living room. It’s the SLY from Eurofase. I love how it looks like waves :-) Didn’t love installing it so much, though!


wave light fixture 2

And we installed this light fixture from Home Depot in the master bedroom. I love how it emulates the angles of the ceiling. We’ll install another one at the opposite end of the second floor in the den/craft area.



master bedroom fixture

We have TV! As long as we don’t lose the satellite signal when it’s raining… and installing the navy blue shiplap (BM Van Deusen Blue) is almost done.



tv shiplap


Fuzion Flooring engineered oak hardwood flooring downstairs…



hardwood downstairs


And upstairs, along with custom made baseboards.



flooring


The front entry is painted Benjamin Moore Stonington Gray and the front door is Benjamin Moore Douglas Fir. I’m not crazy about how the tiles in the entry look, so I solved the problem with an outdoor rug for $35 from Giant Tiger :-)


entry

With all the white ceiling upstairs and the white shiplap downstairs, I wanted to bring more colour into the house. So I painted some interior doors PARA Paints Lush Turquoise and BM Douglas Fir.



douglas fir door



lush 1



lush 2


We even bought new pans and a kettle for our induction stove that coincidentally match the doors!


pans  kettle 2


Half the tiling in the downstairs bathroom is done. This end of the room in the laundry area.



tiling


It was a very exciting day when the washer and dryer went in – finally, clean underwear! They’re Electrolux front loaders, and so far I’m really happy with them. We’ll be putting a wood countertop over them and some shelving on the wall.



laundry



Way back when, I wrote this post about putting the bed in the master bedroom in the center of the room to take advantage of the vie through the skylights. And for a change, I won this battle! How’s this for a bed with a view? :-)



bed view

Whew! That was a long wrap-up, but there was a lot of ground to cover! At the moment, we’re putting together and installing baseboards and trim on the main floor, and I’m about to paint the guest bedroom – once I settle on a colour. I’ll really try to be better about sharing progress updates more regularly. Maybe once or twice a week instead of once every two months! Thanks to all of you who follow the blog and for waiting so long for an update :-)


KB sig

3 comments:

  1. Wow, I love the colors. I think they work so well in a new house by the sea. My sister-in-law let her kids and husband choose the colors in her new Cape Cod house. The bright saturated colors looked wonderful there. Yours do too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Evelyn :-) As much as I admire soft, neutral interiors, I just love colour too much to not use lots of colour in my house :-) Our current project is the guest bedroom. The colours might knock your socks off!

      Are there pictures of your sister-in-law's house on a blog or somewhere else online? I'd love to see the colous that her kids and husband chose :-)

      Delete